Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:21:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, burton@bsampley.vip.best.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: overclocking

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >However, I suggest you invest some money on SCSI drives before you
> >even try overclocking.  (Get the 8ms/7,200rpm variants too --
> >10ms/5,400rpm won't do much better.)  The bottleneck of your machine
> >during compilation should be the disks, not the CPU.
>
> Satoshi!  Shame on you...
>
> Haven't you learned anything from our friend Joe Greco??
>
> You're betting off buying two 2GB 5400RPM drives and striping them
> with ccd, than buying one 4GB 7200RPM drive.  You *will* get better
> performance in almost all benchmarks, and most real-world use.
>
> I'm surprised, especially after Jordan's recent conversion to this
> religion, trumpets blaring loudly and all.
>
> Trust me.  Stripe your drives.  It's worth it.

  A couple of issues:

- The best quality drives are 7200rpm only
- Striping two 7200rpm drives is even better than striping two 5400rpm
drives
- Putting /usr/src and /usr/obj on separate drives is probably better than
stripping, because you know that accesses will happen in parallel.  But
again, this is optimization specific to world building, not general-use
systems.
- Striping is not going to improve seek performance

  As far as Joe Greco goes, he has been huge proponent of using large
numbers of 5400rpm, but that's his opinion.  I prefer fewer, but faster
drives.  I don't believe Joe has ever tried building a system with mostly
7200rpm drives.  Anyways, I get a newsfeed from Joe, and provide some
charity feeds to some ISPs...

  Anyways, I won't get anything but 7200rpm drives these days, but I also
need all the performance I can get.

>   Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
>         --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>         Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>     NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...

Tom