Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:08:38 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! core dumps: install, mtree, et cetera all of the sudden after portmaster security/cyrus-sasl2

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:44:40AM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> >> An installation failed due to pkg(ng) was missing libarchive.so via
> >
> > There is pkg-static for recovering in this type of situation.
>
> Oh ... I'm new to pkg(ng).

No worries.  It is a nice thing to know about, since after a big shlib
bump during an upgrade, if all else is broken, you can still at least
get /rescue stuff and pkg-static to upgrade third party software.

> >> If someone has some hints how to recompile the sources with an emergency
> >> booted disk, I highly appreciate some desater advice. Maybe the release
> >> of FreeBSD-10-CURRENT sources I compiled do have accidentally a nasty
> >> bug, so it would be nice to update the sources and have a complete
> >> recompilation done.
> >>

> > If you can get booted into a recovery medium, you can mount /usr/src and
> > /usr/obj from the hosed system, and should be able to
> > installworld/installkernel into the hosed system with DESTDIR set.
> >

> I do  this the very moment with the RELEASE CD I found at allbsd.org for
> the most recent FBSD 10.0-CURRENT as from 16.08.2012. I try to build the
> sources and install them into the mounted DESTDIR.

I have lately been creating memstick images for this exact type of
thing.  On -CURRENT and 9-STABLE, you can do:

 # make -C /usr/src buildworld buildkernel
 # make -C /usr/src/release NOSRC=yes NODOCS=yes NOPORTS=yes memstick

Then take the resulting memory stick image to use for recovery.

Glen