Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 17:39:11 -0700
From:      "Johnny F. Morris" <johnny@tds.color-laser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XF86 - Gray screen

I've recently installed XFree86 and thought I had everything set correctly
but apparently not.
When I launch X the screen turns gray, the mouse begins working but nothing
ever comes
up on the monitor.

I think I have my monitor settings correct.
HorizSync 30 - 66
VertRefresh 50 - 120
and several different modelines are available.

Is there an error log for X I can check?

BTW...when I ran the xf86config program it went fine and at the end popped
up a window saying
"Congratulations...your server is running"  but after I exit from that and
then try to actually start
the X program it just goes into that gray limbo mode and I end up
cntrl+alt+bkspce after waiting
several minutes.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Johnny