Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:15:13 +0100
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>, wblock@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Suggesting ZFS "best practices" in FreeBSD

Hi,

2013/1/22 Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>:
> I run ftpmirror.your.org, which is a 72 x 3TB drive ZFS server. It's a ve=
ry busy server. It currently houses the only off-site backup of all of the =
Wikimedia projects(121TB), a full FreeBSD FTP mirror(1T), a full CentOS mir=
ror,  all of FreeBSD-Archive(1.5TB), FreeBSD-CVS, etc. It's usually running=
 between 100 and 1500mbps of ethernet traffic in/out of it. There are usual=
ly around 15 FTP connections, 20-50 HTTP connections, 10 rsync connections =
and 1 or 2 CVS connections.

> The only changes we've made that are ZFS specific are atime=3Doff and syn=
c=3Ddisabled. Nothing we do uses atimes so disabling that cuts down on a to=
n of unnecessary writes. Disabling sync is okay here too - we're just mirro=
ring stuff that's available elsewhere, so there's no threat of data loss. O=
ther than some TCP tuning in sysctl.conf, this is running a totally stock k=
ernel with no special settings.

If your workload is mostly made of reads (you're a mirror after all,
you should only write when you're syncing with upstream servers) why
use sync=3Ddisabled ? It shouldn't make a big difference for such a
workload.

> I've looked at using an SSD for meta-data only caching, but it appears th=
at we've got far more than 256GB of metadata here that's being accessed reg=
ularly (nearly every file is being stat'ed when rsync runs) so I'm guessing=
 it's not going to be incredibly effective unless I buy a seriously large S=
SD.