Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:41:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Won-seok Ryu <ryuw@ucsub.colorado.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x-window

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Won-seok Ryu wrote:

>     Hi, I just installed the freebsd but there is one problem. I can start
>  x-window however I can run only 320x204 monitor mode. When I setup
>  mode in the XF86Config to 1024x768, it keep saying "unable to start
>  xwindow".

You probably need to try using xf86config to setup x windows
using text mode.  Also, you need to run SuperProbe and see
what sort of video card you have.  It is entirely possible
your video card is not capatible with x.  I discovered an S3
Virge/GX card made by Jatron was not terribly compatible
with the S3V driver.

>     So I wrote down XF86Config file manually by "1024x768" where it said
>  "320x204", but still it doesn't work. The outline it said '(--) SVGA:
>  Invalid vertical timing for mode "1024x768". Deleted'

This didn't work because X doesn't know what your monitor is
and what scan frequencies to program into your video card.

>     I have Mitsubishi Diamontron monitor.
>
>     Thanks
>     Won-seok Ryu

Good Luck,

*Gene Harris      http://www.tetronsoftware.com*
*   Home of TeamAccess version control for     *
*        Microsoft Office 97 and 2000          *
*   FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE - The Power to Serve    *
*        Redhat 6.1 Secure Web Server          *