Date:      Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:00:45 -0400
From:      Sandro Noel <snoel@gestosoft.com>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Tree essentials UNDERSTANDING the system

On Sep 08, 2005, at 1:42 PM, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
>  Doxygen

George
I second that.
I've just had a look at it quickly, and i was going to propose
building a database to organize the information but this seems right.

I was thinking of - let me know if you share this vue -  organizing
the base system into features, something like

Starting point is from source CVS whatever branch.

to boot the really bare minimum system you need [ information here ]
( at this point the system does nothing useful )
to control multiple user you need [ passwd useradd .... whatever ]
to boot to a shell you need [ information here ]
to add networking to the system you need [ information here ]
to add this and that feature to your system ........
and so on, for the main features, and those main features would be
sub devided into

Kernel options to include ( if apply )
Kernel modules to load at init ( if apply and if the kernel does not
do it on itself)
executables to include ( and why, what is the use )
Libraries to include ( and why )
configuration files to adjust (with links to man pages if apply)
dependencies ( on other features, or on anything else )
links that need to be changed or updated
devices nodes that need to be created if devfs does not do it.

now, i guess this brings a question, is it possible to devide the
system into smaller blocks like that, while still keeping it functional.
as an example. is it possible to boot the system to a shell without
any user files on the system. or any groups for that matter.

if breaking the system into smaller parts is possible without
rendering the system unusable then, i think this just might work...

Sandro Noel
snoel@gestosoft.com