Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:57:21 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        beni <beni@brinckman.info>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desktop Install Option

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:00:27PM +0200, beni wrote:

> Op woensdag 19 augustus 2009 09:18:15 schreef Steve Bertrand:
> > Sabeeh Baig wrote:
> > > So, I've been wondering about something.  FreeBSD is a general purpose
> > > operating system, even though it has historically only heavily been used
> > > on servers.  Why is it that FreeBSD doesn't provide a desktop
> > > installation, something similar to say Debian's option of "Standard
> > > Desktop"?  For those who need it, it'd be great.
> >
> > God willing, the majority of effort in regards to FreeBSD will be spent
> > where it always has.
> >
> > FreeBSD is not Linux. There are those who are working toward making a
> > GUI easier-to-implement, but afaik, that is not (and hope not) the
> > design goal.
> >
> > Instead of "Desktop" features to appeal to people, what FreeBSD really
> > needs is people who are willing to take the time to drop the GUI for a
> > few weeks, and gain a bit of exposure and enlightenment. If it clicks,
> > you're hooked. If not, then there's Linux and Windows.
> >
> > Steve
>
> That seems to be the standard answer here when (periodicaly) this questions
> comes up :-) "We don't need it" (the "we" being the server-gurus). It's that
> or "if you want it, do it yourself".  But to me it seems that the question
> returns regularly and that there must be a certain demand for it. So why don't
> you let the user decide if he wants a bloated desktop or a lean mean server ?
> Now I don't have that option...  That is why I run pc-bsd now. They are able
> to do a GUI install of a desktop on top of a solid OS, something that the
> hardcore server/headless/serial/admins/whatever users here don't seem to care
> about.
> And yes, I know this discussion has been done already several times here :-)

FreeBSD is the one that does let users have an option.  One of
those options is pcBSD.   There are others who make up a bundle
with FreeBSD as the base OS that already has your GUI and other
things built for you -- a FreeBSD desktop.   I hear they install
real easily and work well.    It is not what I need so I haven't
tried them, but rather than raile at those who are building a good
platform, just go and get one of those bundles.   Seems you actually
have already - a pretty close to FreeBSD based bundle anyway.

////jerry