Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 00:36:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Max T1. Throughput?

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 04:42:03PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > You should also note that DSL and T1 have nothing to do with each other.
>
> Ameritech recently delivered a DS-1 to a friend of mine in the form of DSL
> to his location and a device to give a ds-1 signal through the DSL.
>
> TELCO ----DSL---> MAGIC-DEVICE ---DS-1--> DS1 equipment
>
> The magic device was actually at his house.

That magic device would be a... switch!  I can show you how to do the
same with Frame Relay, ATM of any flavor, Ethernet at 10/100/1000 mbps,
Token Ring at 4 and 16 mbps, FDDI, CDDI, and just about anything else
you'd care to name, all in the same chassis.

Repeat after me: DSL is ATM over copper wire.  Nothing more, nothing
less, nothing magic.