Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:07:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@coserve.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: External modems on Alpha.....

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, William Woods wrote:

> OK.....I am getting a crap load oF "silo overflows" when connected to the
> net. I am useing a external Hayes Acura 33/56k fax-modem. I am guessing this
> is a serial port problem, but am not sure. I have this modem attached to
> /dev/cuaa0 (com1).
>
> Is there some setting I need to set at the SRM console for the serial port
> or what?
>
> This is a Alpha 200 4/233, if that makes any difference.

This is because the alpha port doesn't currently support 'fast' interrupts
which the i386 sio driver uses to be able to read characters from the port
while the kernel thinks interrupts are disabled. I might add this support
sometime but I'm too busy fighting other fires right now to think of it.

One day, I would like to spend a decent amount of time profiling and
tuning the alpha kernel...

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com