Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:58:04 +0300
From:      Oleg Sharoyko <osharoiko@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Qlogic doesn't detect devices on cable reconnect

Hello!

I have an odd issue with Qlogic 2422: in case the connectivity between
qlogic card and fc switch is lost (detach cable or shutdown port on FC
switch) and later restored, qlogic doesn't wish to detect any devices.
It complains with the following messages:

isp0: Chan 0 PLOGX PortID 0x010e00 to N-Port handle 0x3: already logged in with N-Port handle 0x1
isp0: Chan 0 new device 0x010e00@0x1 disappeared
isp0: Chan 0 PLOGX PortID 0x010f00 to N-Port handle 0x3: already logged in with N-Port handle 0x2
isp0: Chan 0 new device 0x010f00@0x2 disappeared
isp0: Chan 0 PLOGX PortID 0x010e00 to N-Port handle 0x3: already logged in with N-Port handle 0x1
isp0: Chan 0 new device 0x010e00@0x1 disappeared
isp0: Chan 0 PLOGX PortID 0x010f00 to N-Port handle 0x3: already logged in with N-Port handle 0x2
isp0: Chan 0 new device 0x010f00@0x2 disappeared

Googling didn't help me to resolve this problem. Maybe someone here with
enough knowledge in FC can help me with this case?

Qlogic is connected to the Brocade FC switch. Storage system is EMC
CX3-40. We have also tried windows, solaris and vmware esx - all of them
work as expected.

Failure to detect devices prevents us from using gmultipath, which, in
turn, is essential for running freebsd in production in our environment.

BTW, is Qlogic expected to automatically rescan bus on cable
detach/reattach or some manual interventions still needed?

--
Oleg Sharoyko.
Software and Network Engineer