Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:36:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Re: 1024x768 on a toshiba 8100 tecra in a text (Non X) Console

> Hi,
>
> This problem even appears when installing the OS though
> sysinstall. Disabeling acpi was the solution.

I just did a "buildworld" from 5.2-CURRENT and haven't had any problems.  I
did install by putting 5.1-RELEASE on the 8100 via ftp and then cvsup'ing
sources.  The only boot error message I'm getting is that the AC97 version
is not recognized (it was recognized for a while).  I don't use sound,
however.

Same story with a Supermicro P6DGH/dual PIII/850.  I did discover that
if you try to back down from 5.2-CURRENT to 5.2-RC then KDE fails
unless it is recompiled.  There have been library changes since 5.2-RELEASE
separated from 5.2-CURRENT, and my attempt to do a portupgrade -af failed.

(I've moved back to 5.2-CURRENT since both systems are development; I
intend to move my nat and NFS boxes to 5.2-RELEASE so I can use the
same NFS everywhere and get away from the lockd/statd issues.

Mike Squires