Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:46:29 +0300
From:      JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PHP Problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lynch [mailto:ceo@l-i-e.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 5:45 AM
To: JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil wrote:
> You installed the CGI port.. You  need to install the apache module. CGI
> doesn't allow embedded php in the page.

Just for the record:
Unless the FreeBSD port does something really really really bogus, the
above statement is 100% wrong. :-)

Perhaps you are thinking of Perl CGI versus Mod_Perl (sp?) where such a
distinction (I think) does exist.

PHP as CGI and PHP as Module have very minor differences, primarily
related to functions/security that would make no sense in CGI or vice
versa.

EG:
You can't do HTTP Auth via CGI in PHP because, by definition, you'd be
passing the password between applications in an insecure way.

This is not to say that the rest of the post [cut] isn't true -- In 99% of
the cases of using PHP to spew out HTML, you want PHP installed as a
Module.

You may also, as I do, find it incredibly easy to use as a command line
scripting language and thus also want the CGI (or CLI these days) install
as well.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

For the record, I helped this person in installing the mod_php4 and some
misc extensions and everything worked as wanted. So statement being true or
not, for a newbie it should be assumed at the least. And unless you install
the module, and load it into the httpd.conf for the html interpreter to see
php in the raw, it will not work. You can't load the cgi port of php into
apache.