Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:39:25 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>
Subject:   Port namespace question - GTK 2 version of x11/gtk-theme-switch

Folks,

x11/gtk-theme-switch is a cool program for dynamically changing GTK 1.x
themes and depends on the gtk-1.x port (currently gtk-1.2.10_10). It's
perfect for folks like me who disdain the "desktop"[1], so thank you Maher
and Aaron.

There is a version of gtk-theme-switch[2] which does the same for GTK 2.x
themes and appears to work just fine. I have made a port for it, but since
it is also called "gtk-theme-switch" I'm not sure what to call it before I
send-pr the new port.

Looking at the existing conventions I feel more ill than enlightened,
since it appears that some ports throw a "2" into the name, some just
expect 2.x and some look for WITH_GTK2 to include 2.x versions.

Probably preferable would be to go with something like WITH_GTK2 and/or
automagic 1.x/2.x detection, but then this still leaves a bin/man
namespace conflict. The easy option is to just change all the names, eg.
to gtk2-theme-switch.

Suggestions, with references if possible, please.

Anyone wanting to try this out right now can get the completely
conflicting gtk-theme-switch-2.0.0.r2 port from my web site[4].

Since the existing port is maintained by ports@, I'm naive enough to offer
to maintain it if the powers-that-be are blase enough to let me. I don't
know C or much about GTK and am a newbie porter (but a long-time ports
user).

[1] Gnome, KDE, XFCE, CDE, HP-VUE, ... See what I like on my desktop[3]
[2] http://www.muhri.net/nav.php3?node=gts
[3] http://halplant.com:88/systems.html#Software
[4] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/ports/gtk-theme-switch-2.0.0.r2.tar

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |