Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 22:02:43 -0400
From:      Peter Philipp <pjp@dn.toronto.on.ca>
To:        "Mustafa N. Deeb" <mustafa@palnet.com>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalidating PACK!!!

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 10:49:11PM +0200, Mustafa N. Deeb wrote:
> well I think I've eliminated most of these things, I've the disks out of the
> server and made the cooler point the air to it..
> and It does not look like bad cables...
> about the BAD hd, I've the problem on 5/5 new drives that I bought..
> I'll try upgrading the firmeware and BIOS..
> and see..

Hi,

Where I work we have the same problem we were not however able to get rid
of this problem by elimination ie. we replaced scsi cable, scsi adapter
and like you we replaced the drive (same specs same seagate) twice with the
same results.  We also added a fan for the drive noticing it became quite hot
with no improvement.

da1: <SEAGATE ST39236LW 0005> Fixed Direct Access

Last that remains is probly a swap of the motherboard which seems wrong since
the motherboard doesn't touch the drives at all ie. there is a controller
inbetween.  Power supply we thought may cause it too but swapping the power
cables to drives this did not seem a problem.

We've sticked this drive into another host of almost the same configuration
and ran bonnie continuously on it as so that we would put continuous use on
the drive with no errors reported.

Sincerely,

Peter Philipp (PP2441)
Daemonic Networks
"We will survive our loss and we will remember" - RFC 2468