Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 23:23:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        craigs@brandcomms.com (Craig Stratton)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mail & popper

Craig Stratton stands accused of saying:

> We have a recurring annoyance with our server regarding mail.
> All of our workstations are W95 using exchange with internet mail.

Bad idea.  MS Exchange is a _horrific_ piece of software.
If all you want is Email, get Eudora.  Much simpler than Exchange,
and a much better-behaved citizen too.

> Sometimes when the workstation logs on to collect mail the logging
> on takes up to 5 minutes and other times just seconds.  The server

This could be anything.  It's not inconcievable that Exchange is
trying to do something stupid and timing out.  Obviously you should
also check your POP server logs, and if you can get a workstation into
a 'hung' state, check to see if 'netstat' on the server has any
connections open to it.

Note that AFAIR, Exchange has funny habits about delivering mail - see if
the delays at startup correspond to the size of the pending output
queue.  Also, if you are getting really desperate, point 'tcpdump'
at the workstation and see what sort of traffic it generates when you
start Excange.

> is not under any heavy load. The delays are completely at random and
> not restricted to any particular workstation.  I don't know whether
> it co-incides with sendmail receiving mail from outside, although i
> don't think so.

It wouldn't/couldn't.  Sendmail isn't restricted to one conversation at
a time.  (What sort of crap do you think it is??!!)

> The server spec is P100 32MB.
> Any ideas please ?

If at all even _vaguely_ possible, abandon the thought of using _any_
Microsoft Internet applications.  Mail, Explorer, etc.  They _stink_.