Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 20:58:05 +0000
From:      "ksrgyn -" <ksrgyn@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPFW and IpFilter

Hi,

  I have a problem where the ipfw and ipfilter can not work together.
  I need the packages matching first in the rules of ipfw and after in the
rules of ipfiter.
  I configure my kernel with ipfw options before ipfilter options and i
compile but don't work, then i try to compile my kernel with the ipfw
options and without ipfilter options that was loaded as a module,  and don't
work too.
  The packages must be checked first in IPFW and then they need to be
checked in ipfilter. They are not being checked in IPFW, what's the problem
?

This is what i find in IPFILTER FAQ:

IPF and IPFW both have features I want to use, must I choose between them?
No. You can run them both on a single machine. However, you must take care
to ensure that one package's rules do not interfere with the other's. Note
that the packages get access to rules in the order in which they were
loaded, e.g. if IPFW is compiled in the kernel and IPF is loaded as a
module, IPFW "sees" packets before IPF.