Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 1995 18:38:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SLIP/PPP over a pty.

Hi,

Revisiting old business:  I had mentioned ages ago that it could be handy
for certain purposes to run pppd or sliplogin on a pty.  Under 1.something,
it was not possible, but somebody suggested that it should be possible with
a few minor changes in the pty code.  I honestly don't know if this was
ever done.

Specific scenario:  I am on a secure corporate network, well connected.  I
have my trusty 386sx/16 terminal server.  I have another 386sx/16 with a
friend's hard disk, and have loaded 2.0R onto it.  I'd _like_ to connect the
new box via PPP to my friend's old box, which would be helpful while
configuring and putzing around, but his old box is a 24/7 system, and the
one available modem is running a PPP link to the Internet.  This suggests
that I have a data path:
386sx/16 --> terminal server --> telnet to friend's old box via Inet --> pppd

If only pppd would talk to a pty.

I lost the original message(s) about this that I sent some time ago - or at
least cannot find them.  Could some kind TTY hacker please comment?

(looking through the tty code reveals a few things:  the manpage for 4 tty
is out of date and refers you to <sys/termios.h> for a discussion of
TTYDISC/TABLDISC/SLIPDISC, by the way - wrong.)

I suspect it has something to do with the code in tty.c dealing with
TIOCSETD, but I don't have any familiarity with the tty code...

Thanks,

... JG