Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:56:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Nicolai Petri <npp@distortion.dk>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Introduction

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Nicolai Petri wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > > Let's join our efforts in this area!
> > > IPFW code is very ugly...
> >
> > implementation, what new features should be added, and where we should
> > rearchitect.
>
> What about support for protocol verification ?? (Example : Blocking of
> malformed ftp commands.)

I don't like the idea of implementing protocols MEANT for userland in the
kernel. Doing this leads to code duplication (a LOT of it) and unnecessary
complexity. This would just lead to people wanting an entire ftpd in the kernel
(which wouldn't be a good idea, even after having built the parsers/state
machine (or worse) into the kernel). This is entirely impractical, and
without a hybrid user/kernel model impossible.

> Wich layer would it be logically to implement this in ?

This should be done in the user land.

> Is a userland proxy the only way ?

> Nicolai Petri
> WM-data BFC

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/