Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:07:09 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssl and bash libcrypto

On 10/04/2015 11:47 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
>> Most likely there was a port build that required openssl port, and also required
>> something like libarchive or libfetch (for example), both require openssl base
>> (I've found net-mgmt/net-snmp does this).  Your bt reveals that the symbol table
>> is confused, as expected.
> Ah, that's a good help. So I can easily core dump /usr/bin/vi by trying to edit any file. Forgive my ignorance of C debugging, but I'll stumble through this:
>
> 1. I attach gdb to the application and load the core dump.
> 2. It tries to read symbols from a bunch of system libraries.
> 3. In amongst all those libraries are some located in /usr/local:
>
>   /usr/local/lib/nss_ldap.so.1
>   /usr/local/lib/libldap-2.4.so.2
>   /usr/local/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2
>   /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.8
>   /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.8
>
> So the whole chain of problems originates from nss_ldap. But I'm confused about what I'm looking at here..
>
> Did vi try to load some access control library when it tried to write a file out to disk, and then that loaded nsswitch which in turn I've tied into the nss_ldap port, and then from there it was a slippery slope to disaster of conflicting libraries?
>
> I'll try building nss_ldap against base openssl and see if that helps, but can someone help explain the naming here. Why do we have /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.8 but lib/libcrypto.so.7. Was this done when the openssl port moved from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2? Isn't there usually a warning in UPDATING when we need to rebuild all ports for that reason?
>
> If all ports move to only use openssl from ports, then how does my example above get fixed? Doesn't it make it all worse?
>

> So many questions! Thanks for all the help in understanding this.
>
> Ari

Ari,
Anything under /usr/local/ should be regarded as coming from /usr/ports
- that is, it is *not* part of the base system.  /lib and /usr/lib are
part of the base system.  If your system is crashing due to /usr/bin/vi
which is part of the base system, then something is very wrong with the
system.  I'm guessing but is it possible that you've installed 32 libs
onto a 64 base system, or the other way around?

I can't see how vi needs anything under /usr/local, as its from the
"base" system - so I guess others may need to step up to assist.
Regards, Dewayne