Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:58:27 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV

Jim Bryant wrote:

[ snip ]

> unsolicited commercial email should have been made a felony, just like
> junk faxing is.  it's only a matter of time before it is, because of
> the fact that the ftc has better things to do than deal with spam
> scams constantly.  if effectively applied the current spam law will
> cost more money in taxes for enforcement than making it a felony would
> have ever cost with an effective opt-in law.

Your post made very intersting reading Jim, but, for the benefit of a
non-US citizen, could you explain the definition of "felony" in the US
legal system to put the above paragraph into context.

I was under the impression that felony was 'serious' crimes, murder,
rape, burglary etc, etc. which makes it seem a bit extreme to make
junk faxing/e-mailing a felony.

TIA

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.