Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:12:44 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup, portupgrade, installing ports, and firewalls

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 04:01:08PM -0700, Pat Maddox wrote:
> I've got the pf firewall installed, and every time I run cvsup,
> portupgrade or try to install ports, I have to disable it.  What
> outgoing and incoming ports do I need to allow in order to run these
> without disabling the firewall?

The cvsup(1) manpage describes exactly what ports need to be opened for
cvsup to work. (Normally just outgoing TCP connections to port 5999 on
the server.)

Fetching distfiles for ports is usually done via either HTTP or FTP, so
if you allow those out everyting should work.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson