Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:22:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Marc van Kempen wrote:

> >  * There is one variable I've found, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, that seems ideally
> >  * useable as a method of moving the defaults stuff where we want it.
> >
> > But that is what the X window system leaves to the user for additional
> > configuration.  I'm a little weary about us taking it away, as it
> > doesn't belong to the system, and the ports tree is more on the system
> > side than the user side.
> >

> Can't you make wrappers for the xwindows programs where you set
> the variables to the appropriate values (I use XAPPLRESDIR for
> example).
>
> Here is how my netscape script looks:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> export XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/local/netscape
> export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/netscape
> /usr/local/netscape/netscape $*

I don't want to require every X11 program to run thru a shell script, so
it can set it's very own XAPPLRESDIR.  I'd much rather require that
everyone set the XAPPLRESDIR to some value they like, then detect that
value in the user's environment, and use *that* to redirect the output of
X11 ports compiles.  That way, all the defaults files go where folks
expect them to, no matter how someone sets it.  The only requirement then
is that the XAPPLRESDIR be set to *something*, else maybe a standard
default value to set up in bsd.port.mk so that could be read in the
default case.

Hows that, Satoshi?  Set up XAPPLRESDIR?= something, then I can make X11
stuff use that.  Anybody actually setting it, gets exactly what they want,
else it goes, oh, maybe /usr/local/share/X11/app-defaults?  I'm going to
make up a local test bsd.port.mk that will react that way and test it, see
if I can get X11 installs to whistle that tune.  X11BASE would then be set
to PREFIX, and not vice versa.

> Regards,
> Marc.
> Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
> Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
> tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
> fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |