Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Good Book about shell scripting

At Mon, 12 Aug 2002 it looks like Jens Rehsack composed:

> Best book 'bout shell programming I ever read was 'Unix Shells by example'
> by Ellie Quigley, ISBN 0-13-460866-6
>
> It covers bourne shell, c-shell, korn-shell, awk, sed, grep. The shells
> are covered in their interactive and in their programming modes.

I agree that the above is a good book albeit 3" (inches) thick.
I personally would not leave home (and don't) without the book
called:

Linux and Unix Shell Programming; by David Tansley

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201674726/qid=1029181549/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8095761-9729525

It's a small 6x8 inch book, fits with you anywhere and has EVERY
form of shell script you can think of catagorized by function.
Here, look at the table of contents.

MAKE SURE TO VIEW ALL THE TABLE OF CONTENTS.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0201674726/reader/2/ref=lib_rd_TC01/104-8095761-9729525#reader-link

--
Bill Schoolcraft