Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:44:25 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Radek_Val=E1=B9ek?= <valin@buchlovice.org>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPT boot with ZFS RAIDZ "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable"

Robert Noland napsal(a):
> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 21:37 +0200, Radek Valášek wrote:
>
>> Robert Noland napsal(a):

> I think that the gang block patch will work, though still haven't gotten
> it tested.  However, I'm fairly confident that the issue is not gang
> block related.  Right now, I have setup a disk like this:
>
> =>        34  1953525101  ada1  GPT  (932G)
>           34         128     1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
>          162     8388608     2  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
>      8388770   648019968     3  freebsd-zfs  (309G)
>    656408738   648019968     4  freebsd-zfs  (309G)
>   1304428706   648019968     5  freebsd-zfs  (309G)
>   1952448674     1076461        - free -  (526M)
>
> Note that this is not a raidz pool right now.  It is just 3 toplevel
> partitions setup as a single pool.  I finally have this configuration
> working reliably.  At least in this case, the issue is due to all of the
> partitions not being probed during early boot and so not being added to
> the list of vdevs for the pool.  When zio_read finds a dva that points
> to a device it doesn't know about, it gives up and whines.
>
> Can you detail for me how you have everything configured, so that I can
> try to replicate it.  gpart show, zpool status and zpool get all <pool>
> would be good.  I'm not sure that I have enough spare disks lying around
> to do this properly, but maybe I can use virtual disks or something.
>
> robert.

Sorry for not responding so long. Here are details you want from me:

# gpart show
=>        34  1953525101  ad6  GPT  (932G)
          34         128    1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162  1953524973    2  freebsd-zfs  (932G)

=>        34  1953525101  ad8  GPT  (932G)
          34         128    1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162  1953524973    2  freebsd-zfs  (932G)

=>        34  1953525101  ad10  GPT  (932G)
          34         128     1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162  1953524973     2  freebsd-zfs  (932G)

=>        34  1953525101  ad12  GPT  (932G)
          34         128     1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162  1953524973     2  freebsd-zfs  (932G)

# zpool status
  pool: z
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

    NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    z           ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
        ad6p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        ad8p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
        ad10p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ad12p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

# zpool get all z
NAME  PROPERTY       VALUE       SOURCE
z     size           3.62T       -
z     used           4.62G       -
z     available      3.62T       -
z     capacity       0%          -
z     altroot        -           default
z     health         ONLINE      -
z     guid           17857007133862981114  -
z     version        13          default
z     bootfs         z/system    local
z     delegation     on          default
z     autoreplace    off         default
z     cachefile      -           default
z     failmode       wait        default
z     listsnapshots  off         default

I've tested your patches but it seems that you're right and it's not
gang related issue. I was able to discover these things on a fully
functional zfs pool (system compiled with your patches):

1, If I overwrite the file /boot/loader.conf (with copy of itself, or
when upgrading kernel/world), next reboot comes with these messages:

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS drive D: is disk1
BIOS drive E: is disk2
BIOS drive F: is disk3
BIOS 627kB/3405248kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@ztest, Thu Oct 22 22:27:22 CEST 2009)
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
Warning: error reading file /boot/loader.conf

Then I'm still able to boot the system, but I must set the boot
variables included in loader.conf by hand

2, Next I overwrite the file /boot/loader (with copy of itself, or when
upgrading kernel/world) and reboot comes with these messages:

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS drive D: is disk1
BIOS drive E: is disk2
BIOS drive F: is disk3
BIOS 627kB/3405248kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@ztest, Thu Oct 22 22:27:22 CEST 2009)
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
Warning: error reading file /boot/loader.conf
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
Unable to load a kernel!

After that I'm no longer able to boot the system from zfs pool.

Hope you have some ideas...

vaLin