Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:01:58 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 10.3 to 11 release upgrade on a vps

--rE1lLvfE4W4IbAP2nqhxI9Wls6HBb0iCx
From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--FWvia0tLTnXg7SBCgFQTA2MRvJQnk5kXL

On 2017/03/23 15:41, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> David Mehler wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a Freebsd 10.3 vps. I'm wondering about upgrading to 11
>> release. Are there any upgrade woes? I'm also running jails so
>> wondering how the upgrade would work with the jail setup and how to
>> upgrade the jails?

> No upgrade woes about system or jails other than the normal stuff. You
> have to update all your ports after getting onto 11.0 and the jails
> running binaries have to be at 11.0 also.

You can run a 10.3 jail on an 11.0 host -- no problem.  This is how eg.
poudriere works to build packages for all the different supported OS
versions.

While you can run an older jail on a newer host, you cannot do it the
other way round with a newer jail on an older host.  Your order of
operations has to be upgrade the host first, and then the jails.

Upgrading jails with freebsd-update(8) can be tricky, as f-u detects the
current OS version by asking the kernel, and that gives the wrong answer
when running an older jail on a newer host.  That's why there is a
'--currently-running /release/' option in more recent freebsd-update(8).
 If you haven't got a recent-enough freebsd-update then there's a trick
-- so upgrading a 10.3 jail to 11.0 would looks like:

   # env UNAME_r=3D10.3-RELEASE freebsd-update -r 11.0-RELEASE upgrade

and then do all the usuall 'freebsd-update install' steps similarly.

Other methods of upgrading jails generally work identically to how they
do when upgrading the host system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew