Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:23:38 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        simokawa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fwohci init on 5.3-RELEASE blowing up

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On 2004-12-26T20:31:18-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> On 2004-12-23T11:39:29-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> > On 2004-12-20T10:26:47-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:

SOLVED!

I had received suggestions to use hints to disable firewire, but that
didn't help.  Even when I set the hint, the controller was still probed
and caused a panic.  So, no joy there.

However, I finally did get a custom release rolled!  This may not sound
like a big deal to you hardcore developers, but it is huge for me, and I
have learned a LOT.  The cross-build actually only worked for me when
the build machine was running the same release that I was trying to
build, which was 5.3-RELEASE.  So, I applied the patch in kern/75482 to
my src and built the release successfully.  That's the good news.

Now for the bad news.  Once I tried the new release CD, it got past the
fwohci probe (success!), but died at the cardbus controller.

cbb0: <ENE CB1410 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0

This was with ACPI enabled.  I disabled ACPI and that kept the machine
=66rom panic()ing on cbb, and I was actually able to get FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE installed on the disk from my custom ISO.  Once installed, I
cvsup'd the src for RELENG_5 and rebuilt world, but still had issues
with cbb while ACPI was enabled.  Time to step it up a notch.

I cvsup'd to HEAD and the ACPI+cbb panic is now gone, and almost
everything on this machine is running now.  There are some errors in the
acpidump that I need to work out (custom DSDT), and the Atheros card
won't work (ath_hal in my kernel blows up, and it is a 5213 so it might
not work anyway :/), but otherwise it is running great!

Thanks to Astrodog and Roland Smith for their suggestions and support.
While their suggestions didn't actually solve the problem, they pushed
my mind in the right direction, which made me learn.  Thanks guys.

The page doesn't exist yet, but I am going to start a diary for this
laptop at http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v.htm Real Soon Now.

--=20
Michael W. Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--