Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:15:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

> The install process registration has made me wonder too.  Would it be possibl
> perhaps to offer a "print this out and mail it in" registration for people

The registration process everyone is currently seeing now really need
to be ripped out and replaced.  Why?  Several reasons.

One, as you've noted, there's no way to do the registration when you
haven't got email set up yet; a good percentage of the registrations
we get are actually bounced back by freebsd.org's spam filter, which
doesn't deal with sites without proper DNS.  When you've set the
machine up before the DNS entry, as many do, that's clearly not going
to work.

Secondly there's the fact that email, even though clearly imperfect,
is the only way to go.  We don't deal well with web site registration
(at least not in a way which weeds/prevents duplicates or allows
someone to change their existing entries) and we don't allow people to
postal mail their stuff in to some counter person.

The idea of having people register at installation time is a good one,
don't get me wrong, but my initial "proof of concept implementation"
there is clearly showing many cracks now.  Who'd like to take over
registration at this stage?

- Jordan