Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 11:25:09 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, holger.kipp@alogis.com
Cc:        frank@exit.com, maildrop@qwest.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RC system hangs (fxp0, smp, sym) (UPDATE)

> I had IO-APIC disabled. All errors went away after I enabled IO-APIC
> in the BIOS. Now for the guesswork:

Very interesting - unfortunately you dont get this sort of fine-grained
control on the Compaq so I cant try it here. All I can od is tell the
machine what Opersating System it is running. On the advice of a very
helpful list member in the Netherlands I have it set to an SMP variety of
Novell netware - which configures the macghine in such a way that SMP will
run. The other operating system types dont even let it boot SMP :-(

> If you encounter similar problems, could you please check if your
> configuration fits this pattern? If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas...

> ==> I noticed that with IO-APIC, sym0, sym1 and fxp0 have different IRQs
>     assigned (all errors gone), whilst with the old setup, they all have the
>     same IRQ.
>                 errors                  no errors
>         sym0    IRQ 11 at 13.0          IRQ  2 at 13.0
>         sym1    IRQ 11 at 13.1          IRQ 11 at 13.1
>         fxp0    IRQ 11 at 15.0          IRQ 16 at 15.0

Mine comes up as:
	sym0	IRQ 15 at  9.0
	sym1	IRQ  9 at  9.1
	 tl0	IRQ 11 at  7.0
	 tl1	IRQ  5 at 15.0

So none of my IRQ's seem shared....this is the configuration that caused
errors for me. Thoough I have to say that this is frommy latest SMP kernel
which I havent run before and thus dont know if it exhibits the same proeblems
as the older one did. As this is productionmachine it is run simgle
processor at the moment due to the instability problems.

-pcf.