Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:44:41 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam problem on the list (Was: Re: URGENT)

On 23 Jun 2002, at 15:51, Larry Rosenman boldly uttered:

> The technology to virus scan and SPAM scan exists, and runs on FreeBSD.
> My question is why isn't it deployed on the hub.freebsd.org server(s)?

Oh, they're doing spam blocking already - rumor has it spam hits
hub.freebsd.org about once a second. (of course, that server also
serves various individual mail accounts as well, not just the lists)

However, they are not:

1) blocking attachments
2) requiring membership to post
3) using DNS-based or other externally-ruled blocklists
4) keeping close tabs on the content and mitigating specific problems
in a timely manner

#1 is due basically to tradition and feeling that it helps new users
#2 see #1
#3 could be for performance reasons, not sure
#4 is probably due to lack of manpower, perhaps resistance to change

Where us users could help out might be in item #4, or another idea
might be to split up list functions onto a different box than the one
that handles everything @freebsd.org, and implement different
rules/policies on it.  I might even have a server I could donate to
the cause, and I'm probably within a 45 min drive of where the stuff
is currently hosted.

That is unless the "status quotians" (a new, -er I mean old lifeform)
don't drown out the suggestion with the familiar "we don't need help,
nothing's broken" response.

> I've gotten more virii this weekend to the FreeBSD lists I subscribe to
> than any other place.

As have I.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium