Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:41:56 +0200
From:      Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS lockup when copying a "special" file

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Did you try any of the suggestions in my previous mail?
> E.g.:  use TCP NFS transport instead of UDP, and/or force
> NFSv2 instead of NFSv3.  You could also try lowering the
> MTU (although I think it's not the cause of the problem
> in your case, but it might be worth a try nonetheless).

I now switched to TCP NFS.

> What are your NFS mount options?  What is the size of the
> file on which the mount became stuck?  Do the contents of
> the file matter?  i.e. when you create a file of the same
> size with dd(1) that contains only zeroes, can you copy
> it to the NFS share?

Mount options are:
tcp,soft,nfsv3,bg,rw

This time it was during playing music from nfs and scping a large
file from nfs to another system - so I can't tell this time what
exactly caused it.
At least the 1st appearence of the problems two month ago happend when
copying a file which was reproduceable. The file is still online in
that tar file:

http://pofo.de/tmp/file.tar - yang.xchatlog

> A bit of tcpdump output might be helpful, too.  Please use
> the options "-vv -s1600", otherwise it's useless.

My initial mail only contained a standard tcpdump

19:18:39.582342 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net.2033686372 > dill.salatschuessel.net.nfs: 1472 write [|nfs]
19:18:39.582344 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp
19:18:39.582346 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp
19:18:39.582348 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/