Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:32:12 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9-STABLE doesn't boot: can't load 'kernel'

I can't recall, does the cd come with the btx loader?  Is it able to see
the hard drive partitions and boot that way?

Did you put anything in loader.conf?  I'm guessing that if you're
getting to /boot/loader but not any further, it's something wrong with
the conf file.  If you're booting UFS, you might be safe just
deleting/renaming the file.

And just for sanity's sake, you didn't try anything special with geom
did you, such as 4k blocks, geli, etc?