Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:44:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, tlambert@primenet.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_page_zero_fill

Terry Lambert said:
> > > The thing that appalled me was what you said about BSS being zero'ed
> > > in the kernel space using zeroed pages instead of as a result of an
> > > explicit zeroing by the execution class loader.
> >
> > That is the way that it works.  Explict zeroing is wasteful because
> > it cannot easily take advantage of background prezeroing...  However,
> > recently prezeroed pages make for efficient usage of cache.  The zero
> > queue (and all others) are designed to take advantage of recent cache
> > usage.
>
> This is robbing Peter to pay Paul; in a way.  The base assumption
> that you are hiding is that you aren't constrained by memory
> bandwidth.  This isn't true if you are nearly saturating a PCI
> bus with 4 BT848's (to pick the highest memory bandwidth application
> I know about).

Prezeroing doesn't take any significant CPU if there are no cycles
available.  It does increase latency slightly, if zeroing is allowed
to happen.

> Maybe we need to go back to first principles, and examine the
> assumptions about what constraints are in effect under various
> usage models, and make trades like these optional instead of
> mandatory.  I think that's all he wants, anyway.

The prezeroing isn't adding any cost to him, the ability to support
returning non-initialized data from the kernel would be useful.  In
that case, turning off prezeroing *might* help (but probably won't.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid