Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 17:06:58 +0800
From:      "bycn82" <bycn82@gmail.com>
To:        "'Dewayne Geraghty'" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>, <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: kern/189720: [ipfw] [patch] pps action for ipfw

>=20
> What is the "use case" of this addition?  Is this objective to limit =
the mischief
> on a certain port, for example ntp or port 53?
>=20
> I can appreciate the need to limit the number of packets during, say a =
DDOS
> event, but I'm struggling with why I would want less that 1 packet per =
second.
>=20
The original propose is "packet per second", I met this kind of =
requirement , for example ,if you network appliance want to support 10 =
queries per second, then you cannot use dummynet because the query =
packets are not fixed size.

> Is the idea of pps meant to remove the need of dummynet where it is =
used
> in almost trivial cases?  Though if this were the case, then bps (bits =
per
> second) may be more useful?
>=20
So in the beginning , the option is named =E2=80=9CPPS=E2=80=9D, and it =
accepts only 1 parameter.  But Luigi said =E2=80=9C10 per =
second=E2=80=9D is different from =E2=80=9C1 per 100 ms=E2=80=9D  and =
=E2=80=9C1 per 100 ms=E2=80=9D should be better!  =20