Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:28:44 -0500
From:      "Rohit Tripathi" <rohit.trip@gmail.com>
To:        rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hints on setting up usb cdma modem?

> It is not the ucom endpoint -- it is some mass-storage endpoint that
> your modem seem to implement too.  Or you showed us not all dmesg parts

Yes, under Fedora, the moment I plug in my CDMA card, its built in
storage drive is mounted first. I have to eject this drive before I
could do anything. Something similar is happening under freebsd.

> -----
> ucom0: <CMOTECH CO., LTD. CMOTECH CDMA Technologies, class 2/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on uhub5
> ucom0: iclass 2/2
> ucom0: data interface 1, has CM over data, has break
> ucom0: status change notification available
> ----
>
> So, the basic questions are:
> - had you compiled-in/kldloaded the ucom module?

Yes, this was the very first thing I had tried before wandering off
into usbd land

> - do you have ucom-related messages in dmesg?

Yes, but they seem to appear only after I give a reboot
command....i.e. right before filesystems are being unmounted (which
makes sense considering how we have to "free" up the mass-storage part
before using the modem under fedora)

> - you might also need modules 'uplcom' and/or 'umodem' -- try them.

Yes I have tried these earlier, then I discovered usbd, ubsa, and now
u3g (compiled and loaded, and yes entries for U727 are already there,
thanks Nick!) but so far with my limited knowledge of FreebBSD I
haven't been able to get any of it moving. Here's an approximate
description of steps I took:

1. Update kernel src, remove ubsa from kernel config, and add u3g
2. Build, install, merge configs
3. Setup ppp according to instructions given on Nick's page:
http://people.freebsd.org/~n_hibma/u3g.html
4. Plugin modem, plugout, and watch as nothing happens
5. Post on freebsd-current
6. Wait

:)