Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:09:23 -0400
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: sshd didn't run after upgrade to FreeBSD 8.4

On Jun 19, 2013, at 7:37 PM, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> You're missing my point totally. The line is commented out in the
>> official source of 8.4 and there for I have very hard time believing
>> that it would show up uncommented on a fresh 8.4 installation.
>=20
>=20
> I don't think this warrants a mention in the Release Notes for exactly =
this
> point, however it should probably be mentioned in UPDATING.  If =
nothing
> else, that would at least keep UPDATING consistent with previous ssh =
major
> upgrades.

+1

Even if you ran mergemaster and saw the change, without a comment above =
the VersionAddendum line or mention in UPDATING, you might make any =
number of assumptions about why it's commented out now.    Given the =
behavior (ie: sshd does not start) for those that have chosen in the =
past not to tell the world what OS and build date they are running.

Not really the best choice by the OpenSSH folks either, IMHO.  I skim =
the OpenSSH release notes sent to the -announce list and totally missed =
this change.

Charles