Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:05:00 -0700
From:      Richard Schilling <rschi@rsmba.biz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup with tag=. on src and upgrading (in general)

Thanks for all the help folks.  The documentation does come up a bit
shy on clarity (no offense) - found myself guessing a bit . . .

I know that tag=. specifies the HEAD node, but I was a bit confused by
the documentation.  It does say that
	*default tag=.

will retreive FreeBSD-CURRENT, and when tag and date are absent you get
the RCS files.  My bad I guess.

But, the documentation confused me with  this:

<quote>

For our example, we wish to receive FreeBSD-CURRENT. We add this line
at the beginning of our supfile:

*default tag=.

There is an important special case that comes into play if you specify
neither a tag= field nor a date= field. In that case, you receive the
actual RCS files directly from the server's CVS repository,

</quote>

followed by this . . .

<quote>
Section A.6 contains branch tags that users might be interested in.
When specifying a tag in CVSup's configuration file, it must be
preceded with tag= (RELENG_4 will become tag=RELENG_4). Keep in mind
that only the tag=. is relevant for the ports collection.
</quote>

So, I am not sure what tag=. fetches when run on src-all.  It it
invalid (unpredictable) or actually FreeBSD-CURRENT?

I don't have the example cvsup files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  Did
I not install a port?

--Richard Schilling