Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:05:01 -0400
From:      tom fogal <fogal_t@chasma.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar.o linking problems

i had actually already tried this. monday night, i cvsupped, and had the error. i just left it to try again tomorrow.. and it happened again so i emailed the list.

i cvsup'd yet again, though, at about 1pm EST today. Still the same problem; tar.o and a bunch of related object files dont link up correctly to build gnu tar.

ive been looking around a bit and think it might be trying to compile/link two different 'tar' sources. /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar is where i get the error, and it uses some sources from /usr/src/contrib/tar/lib. 'add_exclude' is the first function that cc complains about. the reason i think that its using different sources, is because this function has a different prototype in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar and /usr/src/contrib/tar/lib/exclude.c..

of course, im totally guessing around here. ive little idea how the make buildworld process is supposed to work, and whether or not sources should be spread out like they seem to be...

if anyone could shed some light on the subject, or has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks,

-tom

tom fogal wrote:

 > Hey all,
 >
 > just cvsup'ed to the latest stable this morning, from a stable
 > dated a month or so ago. 'make buildworld' dies when trying to
 > build tar:
 >
 > cc -O -pipe -march=pentiumpro -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
 > -I/usr/local/nfs/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar
 > -I/usr/local/nfs/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar/../../../contrib/tar/lib
 > -I/usr/local/nfs/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar/../../../contrib/tar/src
 >  -static -o tar addext.o argmatch.o backupfile.o basename.o
 > dirname.o error.o exclude.o full-write.o getdate.o getline.o
 > getopt.o getopt1.o getstr.o hash.o human.o mktime.o modechange.o
 > prepargs.o print-copyr.o quotearg.o safe-read.o save-cwd.o
 > savedir.o unicodeio.o xgetcwd.o xmalloc.o xstrdup.o xstrtoul.o
 > xstrtoumax.o strtoumax.o buffer.o compare.o create.o delete.o
 > extract.o incremen.o list.o mangle.o misc.o names.o rtapelib.o
 > tar.o update.o tar.o: In function `add_exclude': tar.o(.text+0x177c):
 >  multiple definition of `add_exclude' exclude.o(.text+0x1d8):
 > first defined here ... (a bunch of other, similar messages) ...
update.o:
 >  In function `junk_archive': update.o(.text+0x3e2): undefined
 > reference to `msg' update.o(.text+0x3f2): undefined reference to
 > `msg' update.o(.text+0x4b8): undefined reference to `msg'
update.o(.text+0x54d):
 >  undefined reference to `msg' update.o(.text+0x93a): more
 > undefined references to `msg' follow
 >
 > if your interested in seeing all of the undefined references and
 > other errors, see: http://www.freebsdhackers.net/fogalt/abridged_script
 >

 > any ideas?
 >
 > thanks in advance,

I cvsuped at 1001 am PDT (1701 GMT) and didn't have any problems. Did
you try cvsuping again to see if you grabbed something in the middle
of an update?