Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:47:16 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.purdue.edu>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emu & Netscape

Mark wrote:

> Shit.. I have this *exact* setup, exept I'm using the final release of
> 3.0, not beta 7. Out of curiosity, what X server do you run?
>
> All I get for a java app is the empty "grey rectangle" where it should be
> -- but it never appears. Rather annoying.

Something that just bit me after an X server upgrade was the X fonts.  Make
sure that every directory in your FontPath exists, and has actual fonts in
it.  Then, enter each directory and type "mkfontdir".

My problem was that I didn't install the 100dpi fonts, but the upgrade created
a directory for them anyway, and an entry in XF86Config.  "mkfontdir" in that
directory had no effect (no fonts -> no fonts.dir), and Java seems to like
having "fonts.dir" files around.

You'll probably want to restart the X server after either paring down
XF86Config or running mkfontdir, just to make sure everything is
re-initialized.

Of course, this assumes that you are using XFree86.  I'd imagine the X-Inside
server would experience similar difficulties, but I don't know which files
you'd have to modify.

Something else to watch out for:

If you've ever installed the Netscape.ad file into
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults, you'll need to either install the newest
version or just remove it (recommended).

I think the symptom of this problem is that Netscape won't start at all, so
it's probably no help to you now.  Just watch out in the future, since it has
bitten me a few times.

Netscape has worked well for me on both a 2.1 and a 2.2-current system.  I
tend to grab the newest version as soon as I see a cvs commit log for
ports/www/netscape3, and the only troubles I've encountered were the X fonts
and playing about with the about:image-cache URL a bit too much.  Java &

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis - blewis@vet.purdue.edu