Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 02:04:10 -0500
From:      John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        "aboussj@compusmart.ab.ca" <aboussj@compusmart.ab.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: NOAH ABOUSSAFY: CRA(IBM)/486/50Mhz HELP!!!!!!

> how do i do this and by the way i am only 14

Ageism is alive and well on the Internet; It's in your own best interest
to keep this safe.  I don't know how old you are :)

I agree... Noone knows that I am eighteen.

> and dont want any technical FTP mumbo jumbo just simple plaing
> instructions

FreeBSD is a technical system.  If you can't handle FTP, then you
shouldn't try FreeBSD.

If you would like a UN*X-like system that will probably suit your needs,
and you don't want to deal with technical introductions, I can reccommend
a couple of packages.

$99. "Coherent". Good training system, not extremely powerful, relatively
easy installation process.

Free. Linux via FTP. Relatively easy-to-use, well-supported. The installation
process is simplified due to a larger base of installed linux users with nothing
to do.

$20-100. Linux via CD-ROM. See above. There are several varieties, one of the
cheapest being WC-Linux from Walnut Creek. http://www.cdrom.com There
are other free varieties, like slackware unix, from sunsite.UNC.EDU. I think
that the commercial, and more expensive varieties are easier to deal with. Try
Red Hat linux at www.redhat.com (I think)

or, if you enjoy bashing your head against the wall:

Free. NetBSD via FTP. http://www.netbsd.org. Much harder to install and less
powerful than freebsd, doesn't help you much, but you learn a lot.

Expensive. BSD/Interactive. I don't know how hard the professionial package
is to install.

Installing anything when you have Win95 installed required defragmenting
the drive and then running either FIPS (free) or PartitionMagic (pay) to create
a new partition. This implies that you like installing software, or you have
the capability to backup your disk. You cannot run FreeBSD easily or well
off of a dos partition, because the system favors the unix file system types,
such as ffs. With a bit of luck, like I had, though I don't care about my data
right now, you can split partitions keep the data. Otherwise, if you're worried
about mom asking where her resume went, I'd say you should look into
backing up before you make any move whatsoever.

-John