Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:18:42 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: passwords after make upgrade?

----- Original Message -----
From: <mwlucas@exceptionet.com>

> Well, 3-stable seems stable enough that I decided not to wait for 3.5, and
> upgraded a couple systems from 2.8-stable.
>
> After I rebooted, however, all my passwords were invalid. ....

I had the same problem some time ago, and found that I had set the parameter
"nisdomainname" to some value even-when I was not using NIS. This had no
effect for <=FBSD-2.8 Versions, but made passords invalid for the upgraded
version.

This may not be your problem as you have said that "reset all the passwords"
and if understand you correctly; they now work???

Greg