Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:38:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 09:18:34AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Also, LPRng requires gmake.  Going to be a nice bit of work, bmaking that
> > fellow.
>
> Don't worry, I can bmake anything written in ASM/C/C++.*

Oh, I knew that; I was just pointing out that it wasn't without it's
complications.  I saw that post of, uh, I think it was Will who intimated
that apsfilter was huge next to LPRng (the opposite may be more likely to
be true).  I was trying to goad someone who's installed LPRng to say how
it goes about printing gifs, ascii, jpegs, etc, on a postscript
printer.  If LPRng itself calls out to ghostscript, then the claim about
LPRng being smaller is very false.

I won't install LPRng, I like my apsfilter install, and don't want to mess
with it (it was kinda difficult getting my set of mismatched ghostscript
drivers for my HP printer working at optimum, and I won't upset the
applecart now).

Hasn't anyone installed it, and is willing to discuss how it works for
them?

I haven't *seen* that much talked about bsd-licensed version, tho.  When
that shows up, I stop opposing things.  I'm not against LPRng itself,
actually, just bringing in non-bsd licensed stuff without a sufficiently
strong reason, which I don't think we have.

If Chuck Paterson had the BSD for BSDi, I bet someone just has to be
serious in asking the LPRng authors about it.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.