Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 22:28:18 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'config@freebsd.org'" <config@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'mike@smith.net.au'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Multi-faced admin

> Looking at Mikael Karpberg page on his architecture for admin'ing a
> FreeBSD
> box, I came across a link to Caldera's COAS project: http://www.coas.org

COAS is vapourware at this point in time.  I wasn't impressed last time
I looked; it's a GUI frontend to a pile of specific configuration file
editors and completely fails to address the issues of multisystem
management.  ie. idea for a standalone desktop, but a complete dud for
anything that aspires to being a server operating system.

> Reading the post about UMich's LDAP engine, it sounds rather radical.

I don't know if "radical" is right; all I'm saying is that we need to
provide a uniform interface to *all* the parametric information that
controls the system, if we want to be able to abstract the
"configuration" process from the "interpretation" process.  This is
where COAS (and others) fall down.

> So, as of the moment, here's a concise view of what I'm seeing/hearing
> for a FreeBSD framework:
>
>  - httpd type server (easy to plug any client into/write new clients)
>  - standardized CGI interface subset for admin modules

This is only *one* interface stack, but likely to be the most commonly
used.

>  - LDAP for config managment by admin modules

Terry's picture describes it much better than I can in words.  You are
describing the path from "Browser" to "LDAP Server", leaving out a few
components, but pointing out that there has to be a shim between
"HTTPD" and "LDAP Client API", ie. your CGI interface subset above.

> the work is done.  The bottom glue layer appears rather dumb,
> but it should hide the complexity of a bazillion different config file
> formats
> (if I'm reading what Mike is saying about LDAP correctly).

This is one of the key items; it means that there is no change in the
parametric interface if/when we shift from separate configuration files
to trusting the LDAP database for everything.

> PS: Mike, where can I find some docs, etc. on the UMich LDAP server?

Go to /usr/ports/net/ldap, and try "make install".  The manpages it
splats in are a good starting point, and it has some xrefs as well.
There's also a mob called Critical Path (IIRC) that have some UMich
LDAP resources (FAQ, etc.) online.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\