Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 21:01:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <tonym@angis.org.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   installworld failure (install of sbin/init)

Just did buldworld, kernel, installworld cycle but there was one small
problem in installworld

o-----------------------------------------------------------------------o
===> sbin/init
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 500  -fschg -b -B.bak init /sbin
install: illegal option -- b
usage: install [-CcDpsv] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
file2
       install [-CcDpsv] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
             fileN directory
       install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
*** Error code 64

Stop in /usr/src/sbin/init.

Checking CVS I thought maybe I had cvsupped and got the init Makefile
change and not the changes to (x)install but this does not appear to be the
case.  A second cvsup after the install did not get anything for xinstall
and the manpage for install shows the new -b and -B (as does runningthe new
install).

Does installworld use the old install?

In any case  removing the "-b -B.bak" in sbin/init/Makefile and reinstalling
solved the problem for me.

tonym