Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:26:25 -0700
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Subject:   Re: mail to root

On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately, there is not to my knowledge a comprehensive
>> text that will offer an analysis of every possible mail message to
>> root and what it means.
>
> Well, no, any more than there is a comprehensive text that will list
> every single noise your car might make and what it means.
>
>> rc.conf to set the aliases and rebooted the machine. The new aliases
>> didn't
>> show up with ifconfig so I added them with ifconfig ( I must have made
>> a mistake
>> in the rc.conf lines).
>
> Right.  Sounds like you put inappropriate lines in rc.conf, which is
> only supposed to contain variable settings, not actual commands.
>
> Since you didn't show the lines you'd added, we can't suggest the
> right way to do it, but look at the if settings in rc.conf(5) and the
> Handbook description of configuring networking.
>
> Good luck.
I did add the ifconfig commands to rc.conf, but the problem started
before
I did that, I did find a line in rc.conf setting ifconfig to something
already
having to do with configuration of an interface. I'll have to go back
and
get the actual line, and remove the others as well. I hope no one has
cracked the machine, I get failed login attempts over ftp all the time.
I have
ftp blocked on the public addresses.
Thanks for the info,:
JK