Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:51:49 -0700
From:      John Scharles <johns@cruz.isle.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 2.1.5 from my ftp site

Thanks to the replies I've gotten I've managed to cobble up a scheme that
works. When I tried to symlink /cdrom under ~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE
it wouldn't allow anonymous ftp into that directory (permissions looked okay
but no go....if anyone can tell me how to do this I'd really like anonymous
access to my cdrom from ftp!). What I  finally had to do was link
/cdrom/dists to FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE under my home directory and ftp in as
me. I saw nothing about an FTP error flag under the options menu where I
went to change my ftp login, but it worked okay never the less.

Thanks to all the wrote!
John

At 06:36 PM 10/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, John Scharles wrote:
>
>> I have 2.1.5R running on a network and would like to use its CD ROM drive to
>> allow other machines on the network to install from it. When I tried to ftp
>> from the install floppy it tells me that it can't find the files.
>>
>> How should I set up the file structure on my FreeBSD machine....I tried
>> linking the /cdrom/dists directory into the ftp directory as 2.1.5-RELEASE
>> but this didn't make it! Is there anything special I need to do to allow
>> anonymous ftp to the cd drive?
>
>1.  Mount the cd under ~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE
>2.  Tell your installers to set the FTP Error flag in Options to 'retry'.
>
>This is an "undocumented feature" in sysinstall.  And I don't mean a bug,
>I mean an undocumented feature.  :-)
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

John Scharles