Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2007 03:04:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Duane Hill <d.hill@yournetplus.com>
To:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about Postfix

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 at 19:50 -0700, jekillen@prodigy.net confabulated:

> Hello;
> I have a quick question about Postfix.
> When I install Free BSD and have it
> include Postfix  from packages, does
> the install process completely replace
> Sendmail with Postfix, or do I still have
> to replace Sendmail with Postfix separately?
> Thanks in advance
> Jeff K

If you install Postfix from the ports collection:

   /usr/ports/mail/postfix

toward the end of the install process, it will ask you if you wish for the
install to make changes in /etc/mail/mailer.conf. You tell it yes. If it
did not ask, /etc/mail/mailer.conf should look like this:

sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

This is what so-to-speak "plugs" Postfix into the OS.

To totally disable SendMail from running at startup after a reboot, you
have to make some additions to the /etc/rc.conf config file. Namely, you
have to add:

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

Also, there are some periodic things that are ran which are SendMail
specific that need to be disabled. That is done within /etc/periodic.conf
as such:

daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"