Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 05:35:50 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Traffic Shaping?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Vincent Poy wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2004, Dan Pelleg wrote:
>
> > Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
> >
> > > Greetings all:
> > >
> > > 	I have a ADSL connection where the upstream pipe is smaller than
> > > the downstream with it at 1.5Mbps/384kbps now and will be upgrading to
> > > 6Mbps/608kbps soon.  The issue I'm having is that whenever I upload, it
> > > fills the upstream to full capacity and the downstream would lag as the
> > > ACKs can't be send back in time.  I was told that with traffic shaping or
> > > fair queue routing would solve this issue but I only have one NIC
> > > interface as I am running FreeBSD on a fully loaded notebook with a
> > > Pentium 4M-2.6Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM and 60GB 7200RPM HDD with a 10/100 3COM xl0
> > > built in NIC.  The problem is that I have 8 static IP's with my ISP so
> > > that the LAN IP's, x.x.x.224-.231 netmask 255.255.255.0 are all locally on
> > > the LAN so I want those to use the full speed of the connection without
> > > traffic shaping.  The NIC also has the 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.0.0
> > > addresses for the local LAN as well so how do I setup traffic shaping in
> > > this scenario so that only traffic that actually uses x.x.x.1 from the
> > > x.x.x.224 IP that isn't local LAN traffic actually use traffic shaping or
> > > fair queue routing while LAN traffic will just use the full speed.  I
> > > already have these options in the KERNEL config.
> > >
> > > options         IPFIREWALL
> > > options         IPDIVERT
> > > options         DUMMYNET
> > > options         BRIDGE
> > >
> > > 	Thanks for your help in advance!
> >
> > See ipfw(8). You can match rules by interface or address mask, so you don't
> > need to touch LAN traffic.
>
> 	That's the part I'm confused about.  Since I only have one
> interface, I assume I have to do it by address mask but how would one
> define it as for example,
>
> 10.0.0.224-231 would not use the traffic shaper but 10.0.0.1-223 as well
> as 10.0.0.232-254 would?
>
> > Correct, the problem when you upload on an assymetric link has to do with
> > acknowledgment packets that downloading apps need to send back to the
> > remote server, and they have to wait in the upload queue (which is
> > saturated). You need to prioritize those. One way to do this is to filter
> > on small iplen. This has been discussed in the mailing lists in the past
> > (try the archive of the ipfw@ list). Just remember you can only shape
> > outbound packets (ie, leaving your computer). Doesn't matter if they're up
> > or down the DSL line, just that they go out (shaping incoming traffic makes
> > no sense).
>
> 	True.  But when you have the shaping, do you actually set it to
> the speed of the line or do you set it to like 5% below the speed of the
> line and on the acknowledgement packets, does traffic shaping actually
> reserve some space for that to go back or does it just queue it a certain
> way?  Thanks.

	After reading ipfw(8), I hope I have it correct that it's
like this:

ipfw add queue 1 ip from any to any out xmit xl0
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 384Kbit/s
ipfw queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 30 mask all

	Now I'm just confused how to do the IP portion so that:

192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0
209.204.138.224-231
are not included

but everything else in 209.204.x.x is as well as any undefined IP.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin