Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:52:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Simple 2944 not handled?

In article <Pine.LNX.4.02.9902161714140.25247-100000@remler.nas.nasa.gov> you wrote:

> I'm having a heckuva a time with the the Adaptec driver- this is with
> kernels from 3.0 to today.
>
> The hardware is a SuperMicro P6DLH- or some such- single 300Mhz Pentium 2,
> two PCI busses, etc...I've had 1 through 4 Adaptec 2944 cards
> (differential 2940AU variants) installed in this box.

My guess is that we've somehow messed up the external transceiver setup.
Unfortunately I've never had access to either a 2944 or an HVD peripheral,
so I've never tested the driver myself in this kind of configuration.  I
do have some ideas of things you can try:

1) Try clearing ACTNEGEN in the SXFRCTL1.  You can do this in
sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c:ahc_init().  The data book is unclear
on what effect this feature has in a differential setting
and it could be confusing the external HVD transceivers.

2) In ahc_pci.c, take a peek at the DEVCONFIG pci configuration space
register.  My guess would be that bit 0 is set (DIFACTNEGEN).  If it's
not set, try setting it.  If it is set, try clearing it.

Other than those two bits, I can't find any other bits that are specific
to differential configurations.

--
Justin