Date:      Thu, 06 May 2010 11:07:51 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au
Subject:   Re: portmaster stopped finding dependent ports if non-standard PORTSDIR

On 05/06/10 04:36, John Marshall wrote:
>> So a couple of questions. What does:
>> make BEFOREPORTMK=bpm -f/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk -V PORTSDIR
>
> /build/ports
>
>> return? And do you have an actual /usr/ports directory on the box where
>> PORTSDIR is supposed to be /build/ports? If the answer to the first
>
> No, but (as shown in my OP) /usr/ports is a softlink to /build/ports.

Yeah, don't do this. :)  If you already have the link you don't need to
set PORTSDIR (and in fact you shouldn't, it will create more problems
than it solves, as you've seen). I haven't had my ports tree actually in
/usr/ for years, but there is a link to the actual location which works
just fine for all purposes.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads