Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:28:34 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: curious -- what's /tmp/fam-root ?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:22:06 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Just curious; what's the purpose of /tmp/fam-root, and what is written there?
> Is it simply where the os writes stuff which is sensitive,
> and putting it in a rwx------ directory avoids potential security issues
> regarding file access?
> or is there more to it than that?

I think this is part of FAM - file alternation monitor,
and the particular directory is for root, that's why
it is "user-protected". I'm not sure if this is part
of the OS, cf. port gio-fam-backend (belongs to GIO,
which probably belongs to something else that is then
required by again something else...).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany